I actually just love saying the words Shakshuka Eggs. Tell people you are making this recipe and automatically you will sound like you know your stuff. This is a great brunch recipe or a tasty supper when you just have a few eggs in the fridge. Bulk it up with some toasted sourdough for en extra special treat.
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion
- 1 Red Pepper seeded and sliced
- 1 tin of Plum tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoky or sweet paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- half a teaspoon of salt
- half a teaspoon black pepper
- 1 and a half cups of feta crumbled
- 6 Large eggs
- Hot sauce ( I love Sriracha)
- Coriander to garnish
- Heat oven to 190 degrees celsius
- Heat oil on medium heat in a medium to large skillet and add sliced onion and red pepper then cook until softened.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in Paprika, Cayenne and Cumin and cook for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook gently until tomatoes have thickened.
- Crumble in Feta.
- Make 6 little wells with a spoon and crack an egg gently into each one.
- Transfer Skillet to the oven and bake for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with Coriander
- add as much hot sauce as you can handle
figures shown are approximate.
UPDATE: Thanks to the lads in Grublin.ie for sharing our recipe! <3